Sunday, June 7, 2009

Day 5: Visiting the Great Salt Lake

Well I was so happy that everyone survived the in-room jacuzzi (spa/whirlpool etc) and that we were getting closer to goal of getting to CA. But maybe I counted my chickens to soon.... We decided to stop at the Great Salt Lake on our way out of town. Now I knew that this lake was not a swimming, picnicking, good time kinda a place but I had no idea it was one bitch-bastard of a lake. It was quite beautiful to see the mountains, lake and beach but then it goes downhill fast. The walk to the water-line was a good 10-15 minute. First you notice the stench which for me was manageable what I did not like was the beach started off muddy so I took my shoes off, then it would be rough and out all dried out like sandpaper and without shoes it was quite painful. Next we thought we found some dinosaur fossils but realized it was just dead seagulls. Lots and lots of dead seagulls everywhere. We finally get to the water, dip our feet in, and then decide we had enough. Well on our walk back S. Pete was getting a little whiny but we were all a little uncomfortable and he was continuing to walk. By the time we got to the car area he was in noticeable discomfort. He kept saying his shorts hurt. By the time we got to the car S. Pete broke out in a terrible rash on his legs. It was very scary. There was a hose and we all washed off and got as far away from the Great Salt Lake as fast as we could. We stopped at the nearest Travel J to gather ourselves. I suggested we take advantage of the $10 showers but no one seem interested. A little shower, a little neosporin and a little cherry coke and S. Pete was almost as good as new.

No comments:

Post a Comment