Saturday, June 13, 2009

Day 11 San Francisco: Farewell Dinner

We all knew we wanted Chinese food for dinner and at breakfast I asked our helpful waiter for a recommendation. He did oblige and while it appeared to only be 8 blocks away we knew from our previous outings it was 8 blocks all up hill. As we are walking out, I ask the lady at the front desk (who is Asian) if she is familiar with this restaurant. She is not but recommends the K&G Lounge and calls a car service for us. We all get into a snazzy white town car and head off to our dinner celebration. We have a great chat with Chris Choi our driver who was born in China but has lived in SF for 19 years. He apologized for his broken English but I thought it was pretty good. While the kids try to figure out where China is in relation to Kansas and California, I insist that Chris tell me what authentic dishes I should order as I do not want any American Chinese. He makes some recommendations (eg a whole steamed fish but picking through those bones is no good for me) and we decide the princess chicken would be a good choice.

Well...we get to the restaurant and they tell us the wait is over 1 hour. Imagine the disappointment... We walk out and I say, let's put our name in anyway. When I go back, the hostess is telling, more like ordering, people to go downstairs, go upstairs, go over there. I say can I put our name in for a party of 6. She looks at me sternly and says is your party all here. I say, "yes" and she says, "go upstairs." I run to get everybody outside and we go upstairs. You never know.

Armed with my knowledge of authentic Chinese cuisine, I firmly and confidently order the princess chicken. The waiter says, "No. I bring you house style beef". We ordered a few more items including the Mongolian beef, lemon chicken, chow mien, pineapple and shrimp rice. We all get our drinks and make a toast to wonderful trip!

The first thing to come out is the house style beef and it is delicious. So tender and tasty... The kids do a good job with the chopsticks and everyone enjoys the farewell celebration. Chris is not available to drive us home so we walk up to the Hilton and get a taxi home.

We get home and little Joey Boo Boo who has had a loose tooth the whole trip had a tooth fall out tonight. Fortunatly, the tooth fairy was able to find us!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment